Join the Uprising! Just Stand.
A new concept in office ergonomics is the value of standing periodically. Some reasons for standing:
- Increase overall energy for better mental focus
- Relieve body stress caused by sitting
- Expend more calories
Get Inspired! For those stuck long hours sitting at a computer, standing a little more each day burns extra calories, tones muscles, improves posture, increases blood flow and ramps up metabolism.
The Science behind the need to stand:
- A January 2010 British Journal of Sport Medicine article suggests tha people who sit for a long periods of time have an increased risk of disease.
- An American Cancer Society study, published in the July 2010 American Journal of Epidermology, of 120,000 adults suggests that the more people sit, the shorter their average life span. What's more, the findings were independent of physical activity level such as with people who exercise outside of work.
- A 2010 Unversity of Queensland, Australia study found that even when adults meets physical activity guidelines, sitting for prolonged periods can compromise metabolic health.